60 Years Young
This year Crawley Rugby Club celebrates their 60th anniversary of the re-forming of the club.
A lot has changed since the inaugural meeting of the club held on March 30th 1950 at the George Hotel, in the Chair was Dr S.R. Matthews supported by Mr R.B.A. Dawborn, Mr D. Heasman, together with representatives from Horsham RFC and Tonbridge RFC.
There were about 70 people present and the chair hoped to have about 27 playing members to form the Club, this was the start but one of the first tasks would be to find a pitch and a home for teas and the odd beer after games.
It took 4 months for Col C.A.C Turner (chief executive officer of the Crawley Development Corporation) to find a ground for the Club at the rear of Crawley Towns Minors pitch, and thanks to the licensee of the Swan Hotel Mr George Watkins, the club rented a building opposite the Hotel and his Brewers offered to convert the hut into changing rooms and showers, Mr Watkins also offered the use of a room upstairs for post match Teas, the club had a ground and its first home.
The committee asked Col C.A.C. Turner if they could have a permanent pitch on land near by that was being used as a land fill site, this area at West Green was to become home to Crawley RFC some years later and by the early 60s Crawley RFC built its own Clubhouse on the site which is now known as the RAM club.
Crawley RFC stayed at West green playing fields till 1993 when they were relocated by Crawley Borough Council to their current home Willoughby Fields. The new clubhouse and 4 pitches are the envy of most clubs that visit; the club has hosted many county and national sides over the years including England u 19s when a certain Johnny Wilkinson played for them.